The all-volunteer Delaware Chapter of Surfrider Foundation is seeking a volunteer to work on the issue of plastics for the chapter.
We have a long history on the subject with our Rise Above Plastics, RAP, program, which is over 12 years old. More recently we’ve launched the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program as an offshoot of RAP, with three restaurants already registered.
As of October 2018, there is a bill in the Delaware State Legislature that would curb the use of plastic straws and stirrers by making them available only upon request.
So there is work to do. This volunteer would be the person to keep the members, supporters, followers of the Delaware Chapter informed on the plastics issue by tracking legislative activity, organizing several cleanups throughout the year, keeping track of beach cleanup data, and posting to the chapter’s website about the issue in general.
Requirements for this volunteer position:
- Must be a Surfrider Foundation member (we’ll sign you up or renew your membership if you need that)
- Must have a passion for eliminating plastic pollution from Delaware’s environment
- Must have a mobile phone and a reliable computer with Internet connection
- Must be willing to communicate with other Chapter leaders and Surfrider Regional Staff via email
- Must be willing to put between 2 and 10 hours a week into this position
Helpful attributes for this position, but not required:
- Live near coastal Delaware or within short driving distance
- Willingness to visit Dover if plastics legislation moves there
- Willingness to visit local lawmakers on the plastics issue
- Willingness to get others involved in this issue
- Willingness to collect leads and or approach restaurants that may want to become Ocean Friendly Restaurants
- Willingness to write posts for the chapter website and items for broadcast emails to chapter supporters
The neighboring chapters of Washington DC, Ocean City Maryland and the South Jersey all have regular cleanup events and volunteers dedicated to the Ocean Friendly Restaurant program. So there would be help and support in the region. Surfrider Foundation employs a regional manager to help volunteers in the region so there is staff support as well.
If interested, please contact John Weber at Jweber@surfrider.org or call 732-567-1787.